Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
University of Hartford Benefits
- Increase in student engagement
- More flexibility with course design - academic freedom - enriching learning environment
- Shows prospective students that the University is dedicated to continually improving the educational experience for students and also save them money
- The efficacy of OER has been proven to bolster student success through several studies
- Every student has immediate and forever access from day one
- Customizable content to your course needs
- No permission needed to edit or adapt
- Ownership of the content you create is forever
- No need to move to a new edition unless you choose to
- Many OER are peer-reviewed
- Freedom to access the content from anywhere, anytime
- Multiple formats for different devices
- Instant, unlimited access
- Permanent access - they own the content forever (ideal for multi-semester courses, lifelong learning, references for advanced courses)
- Can be sold through the bookstore
The Office of Educational Technology's "Go Open" Initiative homepage lists four compelling reasons to use OER:
1) Increase Equity - All students have access to high quality learning materials that have the most up-to-date and relevant content because openly licensed educational resources can be freely distributed to anyone.
3) Empower Teachers - Openly licensed educational resources empower teachers as creative professionals by giving them the ability to adapt and customize learning materials to meet the needs of their students without breaking copyright laws.
4) Save Money!
How Students Benefit from Using Open Educational Resources
A-Z Site Index | Contact Us | Directions | Hours | Get Help
University of Hartford | 200 Bloomfield Avenue, West Hartford, CT 06117
Harrison Libraries © 2020 | 860.768.4264